Here is my list of the best books I read this past year:
1. The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, OBVIOUSLY. In order to keep this a top ten list, I had to combine a few of my favorite books into one selection. It might be cheating, but both these books are the absolute best and I couldn’t pick one over the other.
2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl who Played with Fire by Steig Larsson. These ridiculously good suspense/crime novels make me proud to be Swedish. Greatly anticipating the last in the trilogy, The Girl who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest.
4. Goldengrove by Francine Prose. Finally, a solo choice on my top ten. A simple little book about the not so simple process of grief and growing up.
5. The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. This book stayed with me for it’s beautiful descriptions of madness and burning.
6. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows will certainly make the list of favorite books for many readers. And I wanted so desperately not to like it.
7. People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. This was an Anderson Book Club selection!
8. The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker. Another Anderson Book Club book that was about acromegaly and witchcraft. Good combo!
9. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. Follow-up to The Kite Runner, this time taking the perspective of generations of women.
10. The Strain by Guillermo Del Torro. Super virus + vampires. ‘Nough said.
What do you all think? What was your favorite book this year?